I misplaced my AirPods and easily refuse to pay to purchase new ones. The most recent third-generation AirPods — that are implausible! I noticed them once more! – from $169. The older second-gen model is $120 (sure, there are typically offers on-line). These costs should not ridiculous; in spite of everything, they're luxurious items, and the worth is consistent with different high-quality wi-fi headphones.
Nevertheless, I simply do not wish to pay $169 for headphones. I'd a lot fairly pay a lot, a lot much less. Say… $20, possibly $25? I do not assume I would like to clarify myself right here. I want to hold extra money in my pocket. It appears cheap sufficient.
And sure, I'm completely keen to accept high quality. Apple AirPods have spatial sound with Dolby Atmos, function pairing and lengthy battery life. I do not count on a $20 set to attain all of this, however I would like one thing that's Completely respectable.
Fortunately, Amazon has a dizzying array of low-cost AirPod-looking wi-fi headphones. They've bizarre model names you've got by no means heard of, and the costs appear arbitrary (and infrequently there is a coupon on Amazon, which confuses them much more). I began testing them to search out out which one fits my wants: not costly, however nonetheless usable.
I examined 5 white headphones from totally different nameless manufacturers, or as I prefer to name them, ShitPods.
My standards for choosing the 5 choices out of the numerous had been:
• It needed to appear like an AirPod. I skipped headphones of a distinct colour or form which may have been tremendous.
• Value level under $25.
• Many opinions and good or excessive ranking. (Sure, it may be performed, however not less than it is a begin.)
• Free supply and returns by way of Amazon Prime.
However first, two large caveats:
1) I primarily use headphones to hearken to podcasts and audiobooks. Music high quality is just not my foremost concern. When you're an audiophile or music is your ardour, you must most likely simply shell out extra money for higher headphones. I additionally use them for telephone calls, so the standard of the microphone – the particular person on the opposite finish wants to have the ability to hear me nicely – is essential to me.
2) All of those had been accessible on Amazon, however by the point I examined them for a month, two of the unique 5 listings had already disappeared. That is as a result of Amazon's market for reasonable electronics is a funhouse of hypercapitalist accelerationism, as New York journal's John Herrman illustrated in his current article “The junkification of Amazon.” There are bizarre faux model names like “CXK” or “Raviad”. Opinions are sometimes deceptive or false, sellers are sometimes not the producer, and costs fluctuate continually. It is attainable that for those who learn this a couple of months after it was printed, the hyperlinks to the merchandise could have modified once more.